Wednesday, April 1, 2009

This Suit Didn't Come Cheap. You Oughta Know, You Bought It

I'm not going to use today's post to pull some lame April Fools prank on you. I'm far too busy preparing for my spot on Conan in June to even think about something so dumb.

It's April 1st, and I'm pumped to tell you that I've got a lot of great shows coming up in the next few weeks. Slogging through open mics can be rough sometimes, but shows like the ones I've got scheduled coming up are what makes it all worth it. Maybe I'm not aggressive enough when it comes to contacting bookers. Sometimes I feel like a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught one! But due to a having a solid group of comics as friends, good shows fall into my lap, and I ain't complaining.

(An aside - I just facialized a smug Quiznos sandwich guy a couple minutes ago. I ordered a medium tuna melt. There were like four people at the counter waiting on sandwiches. The guy yells out my number, and I move to grab the sandwich. He raises an eyebrow and says, "You got a ticket there, Champ?" If he had just asked me for my ticket, I would have had no problem. But he didn't need to throw the Champ out there. No need to be prickish. You throw meat and toppings on bread to get by, you can't call anybody Champ. So I handed him the ticket and said, "You need my driver's license too?" Everybody waiting in line laughed, and he smiled a sheepish grin. He knew what was up. He had returned to his rightful place in the universe, which is underneath the metaphorical boot that is my neverending, razor sharp wit. I felt good about this until I realized that it's not hard to facialize a guy who makes sandwiches for a living. Life has facialized this guy. End aside.)

THURSDAY, APRIL 2 - OLD ARLINGTON GRILL at the ARLINGTON CINEMA N DRAFTHOUSE. 7:00PM

FRIDAY, APRIL 3 - UPTOWN TAVERN in CLEVELAND PARK, D.C. - 8:50 PM

SATURDAY, APRIL 4 - THE TAVERN at Lee's Hill in FREDERICKSBURG, VA - 9:00PM

SATURDAY, APRIL 18 - ENVIRONMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL at YALE UNIVERSITY - 8:00PM w/meatball loving Paisan Brian Parise

FRIDAY, APRIL 24 - HOMEGROWN COMEDY SHOWCASE at the DC IMPROV LOUNGE - 8:00PM

FRIDAY, MAY 1 - AWESOME BOOST at the DC IMPROV LOUNGE - 8:00PM

For more info, email me at mike_eltringham@hotmail.com Most of these shows have a cover charge, but remember: it's not about money. It's about sending a message.

No comments: